Treatment for Gapped Teeth: How to Enhance Your Smile
Does spacing between your teeth make you feel self-conscious? While some individuals live with gapped teeth their entire lives, others may wish to address the issue with cosmetic dentistry treatments.
At River City Dental Solutions in San Antonio, TX, we offer treatment for gapped teeth, including braces, Invisalign®, porcelain veneers, and more. Here, our team discusses what causes gapped teeth, whether or not the condition can cause dental problems, and the procedures we can employ to address the issue.
What Causes Gapped Teeth?
There are several causes of gapped teeth. Some of the most common causes include:
- Small teeth: Some individuals are born with teeth that are too small for the jawbone. This causes the teeth to shift, creating spaces between them.
- Tooth loss: If a tooth is not replaced once it is removed, it can result in shifting. This can cause gaps to develop between the remaining teeth.
- Tongue thrust: When swallowing, the tongue should press against the roof of the mouth. Individuals with tongue thrust press the tongue against the backs of the front teeth. Over time, this can cause the teeth to splay out, creating gaps between them.
- Enlarged frenum: The rope of tissue that connects your lip to your gums is called the labial frenum. If this piece of tissue is attached too high, or if it is too large, it can cause the teeth to separate.
- Gum disease: In some cases, gapped teeth can be the result of advanced periodontal disease. As infection progresses, it erodes the supporting jawbone, creating pockets around the teeth roots, ultimately causing the teeth to spread out.
In most cases, gapped teeth are a cosmetic issue. However, if the spacing is due to infection or if it is causes further issues to develop, it is important to have the problem addressed by a dental professional.
Treatments for Gapped Teeth
At River City Dental Solutions, we offer a wide range of treatments for gapped teeth. The method recommended for you will depend on the unique needs of each individual. In the sections below, we will discuss some of the most common procedures for reducing gaps between the teeth.
Orthodontic treatment is the most obvious treatment for gapped teeth. By moving the teeth into more favorable positions using metal brackets, bands, and wires, we can eliminate gaps and deliver a beautiful smile.
Gaps can also be eliminated with Invisalign®, an orthodontic system that moves the teeth without the need for metal braces. Using clear plastic trays, Invisalign can close spaces and create a more uniform, balanced smile.
Minor spacing can be treated with dental bonding. By applying composite resin material to the teeth, your dentist can make the teeth appear wider, thereby closing gaps.
More significant spacing can be corrected with the placement of porcelain veneers. Affixed to the front surfaces of the teeth, veneers can close gaps and bring symmetry to your smile, enhancing your overall appearance.
Crowns are custom restorations that can eliminate gaps by changing the shape of your teeth. Generally, crowns are recommended when weakened or decayed teeth require additional reinforcement and strength.
Used for a variety of cosmetic conditions, Snap-On Smile can mask imperfections such as erosion, misalignment, and gaps between the teeth. Like an aligner tray, Snap-On Smile fits directly over your teeth, and provides instant results.
Schedule a Consultation Today
If you are interested in learning more about treatment for gapped teeth, consider scheduling a visit at our practice. You can call us at (210) 349-3745 or contact us online anytime.